When the safety of batteries is at stake, this generally concerns secondary batteries. In case of incorrect use, incorrect charging or insufficient ventilation these have a risk of fire (lithium) or explosion (lead). But primary batteries must also be used with care.



Elfa has the following guidelines concerning safety and the environment:

  • Batteries must never be burned. They can explode, the chemical components used are hazardous and the iron oxide produced is toxic.


  • For safety reasons, ‘high current’ lithium batteries sometimes have a safety valve in the casing. In case of short circuit at high temperatures, the valve will blow off instead of exploding. The blown-off gas is irritating.


  • Immediately consult your doctor when a battery has been swallowed, which can easily happen with the smaller button cells. Always keep batteries away from small children and keep them, or throw them away in places where children cannot come. Each year, there are hundreds of cases of swallowed batteries. 52% of all cases reported concerns children below the age of 6. If nothing is done, a swallowed lithium button cell battery is hard to trace and may have serious consequences.


  • Batteries may contain lithium, nickel, lead, silver oxide or zinc and must never be mixed with household waste.


  • Do not attempt to charge the battery unless it expressly states ‘Rechargeable’. Charging a non-rechargeable battery is dangerous: at best they will leak and destroy the charger. At worst, they will explode.


  • Never open batteries.


  • Prevent damage: never drop the battery and only use the battery for what it is intended for.


  • Do not place the battery near moisture, rain and snow. This will lead to sort circuit.
Inschrijven voor de nieuwsbrief: